Monday, October 6, 2008

Kindness pays

We have house sat and watched a dog named Bandit for our friends, Dave and Sharon, while they went to Cabo for a week. Dave is a friend of Jared's and also a pilot, so when they take trips, we watch their dog, checking up on him 3 times a day (orders from Sharon), sleeping with the snoring dog in the bed at night, make sure robbers don't attack the house, graffitied, burnt down, taken over, ect. We have done this for about a year and have never gotten anything monetary from it, just the occasional dinner, their friendship, use of their jacuzzi, big screen t.v, satellite, king-sized bed, etc.

Since having Sam, it has been harder for me to lug stuff 10-15 minutes from our house for a week or less. It is just inconvenient and I like staying in our own house. Man, did Jared get an ear full of complaints this last time, me complaining about never receiving anything ever for gas, etc. Woe was me. I told Jared, once more, that this was the last time we ever did this and that they were so ungrateful, etc. (I just feel bad for Jared putting up with all my complaining!)

We packed up on the last day and go home.

She calls us the next day, telling us she has a present and to come and get it. We were able to that day.

We show up and had about 30 minutes of conversation, us catching up on each other's lives. I am looking around the room for some form of present, like a box of chocolates, towels, etc. Then she pulls out a $100 dollar bill and starts going off about how much she appreciates us and how we deserve this and on and on...
...I was shocked. All this time I had been complaining to my what seemed like my punching bag of a husband who took it all with love and consideration. In the end, we were rewarded with a present with more than I ever thought we would get!
100 dollars is:
-10,00 penny candies
-26 gallons of gasoline
-our cellphone bill for one month
-one month of food (about) for us
-50 buckets of ice cream
-94 redbox movies (including tax)
-a trip to SLC
-4 date nights for us

In the end, I realized how sometimes in the day-to-day view I only saw, I didn't see the value in helping someone because "I want to," but because "I have to," and sometimes blessings don't come right away, but sometimes a year later.

No comments: